North Coburg Courtyard House. This is an alterations and additions project to an existing 1940's single storey solid brick building in a heritage zone. The design retains the integrity of the existing heritage building exterior and interior by taking cues from the existing building. The new building was built to the rear of the existing building and is separated with a courtyard for light and air to be able to access the new living spaces. Concrete, bricks and solid timber were used throughout to give a sense of permanence, with the materials adding natural texture and warmth to the spaces. The living space rises up from behind the existing building to access precious sunlight. Simple rational planning encourages the maximum use of the existing and new buildings, and the close relationship to the outdoors easily extends the liveable spaces to outside.