Alterations and additions to an existing brick veneer dwelling. A new single storey building was added to the rear of this existing building located on a steep site. The existing living areas were retained to maintain their elevated views and northerly aspect. The existing kitchen area width was slightly increased to accomodate a new window seat allowing for a contemporary kitchen dining layout that has a direct connection into the back yard and new pool area. The minor increase in width to this area makes a large impact on the livablity of the living spaces.
Sustainable Design Strategies
- new kitchen dining areas were created to open up to the back yard entertaining and pool areas
- low energy light fittings were selected
- installation of hydronic heating and photovoltaic cells for power generation
- collection of rain water for use in the garden
- installation of a solar hot water system
- remilled recycled timber floor boards were used