This is an alterations and additions project to an existing 1940's single storey solid brick building in a heritage zone. The design retains the integrity of the existing heritage building exterior and interior by taking cues from the existing building.
The new building was built to the south of the existing building and is separated with a north facing courtyard for light and air to be able to access the new living spaces.
Concrete, bricks and solid timber were used throughout to give a sense of permanence, with the materials adding natural texture and warmth to the spaces. The living space rises up from behind the existing building to access precious sunlight.
Simple rational planning encourages the maximum use of the existing and new buildings, and the close relationship to the outdoors easily extends the liveable spaces to outside.
- the new living areas were designed to open up to a new north facing central courtyard
- the new courtyard shifts the orientation of the living spaces from south to north
- large doors allow ample ventilation into the living areas
- skylights are used in the kitchen for all day lighting
- low wattage light fittings were selected
- windows and doors have been positioned to maximize cross ventialtion
- hydronic heating & a solar hot water service were installed
- recycled bricks were used on the facade
- a polished concrete slab was used for thermal mass for passive heating
- solid blackbutt ply was used for texture and warmth
- natural oil finishes were used
- materials are typically FSC or GECA certified